JOIN THE Y FOR A LEARNING ADVENTURE!
Charleston, South Carolina
Historic Plantations and Gardens
March 24-29, 2019
In one of America’s most historic and beautiful cities, take a step back in time as you explore the manicured gardens, ornate home interiors and antebellum history of the plantations nestled within Charleston and the coastal Lowcountry. Encounter the life stories of those who lived and worked in these stately homes and historic plantations, black and white, slave and free. Learn about the Gullah people, slave descendants who have preserved more of their African heritage than any other community in the country.
- Step inside the Aiken-Rhett Home and the Joseph Manigault Home, Middleton Place Plantation and Gardens and Magnolia Plantation and Gardens.
- Attend the Charleston City Market, four blocks of open-air buildings where vendors sell paintings, pottery, sweetgrass baskets and more.
- Enjoy sumptuous Lowcountry cuisine, a sweetgrass basket-weaving demo, Gullah language & culture demonstration and the only tea plantation in the U.S.
- “Keep the Pace” - Walking up to two miles and standing up to an hour on field trips. Some uneven surfaces at the plantations and cobblestone streets.
REGISTRATION HAPPENING NOW!
- Register today my calling: 800-322-5315, please mention the Penobscot Bay YMCA group
- Trip has 10 slots left!
- $100 deposit required to reserve your spot
- Payment is due in full 77 days prior to trip (January 6, 2019)
- Learn more by visiting Road Scholar online*!
- Download our Trip Summary
PROGRAM PRICE INCLUDES:
- 5 nights of accommodations
- 11 meals: 5 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 4 dinners
- 7 Expert-led lectures
- 7 Expert-led field trips
- Group travel and transfers throughout the program
- An experienced Group Leader to accompany you throughout the program to handle all logistics
- Customary gratuities, taxes, and destination fees
- Road Scholar Assurance Plan which provides 24-hour assistance in the event of an emergency during your program and insurance for emergency medical evacuation
Francis Marion Hotel, Charleston The hotel opened in 1924 as the largest and grandest in the Carolinas. Recent refurbishments have added to the comforts of today and enhanced the hotel’s historic ambiance with sleek room décor reminiscent of the 1920’s grandeur, as well as an inviting restaurant and lounge.
ESTIMATED PROGRAM PRICE (subject to change):
- Double Occupancy: $1,869
- Single Occupancy: $2,409
Please contact Sandra Bodamer, Director of Senior Activities at 207.593.8500 ext. 102 or email@example.com